As state public health officials are calling for "social distancing," consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, the Marijuana Enforcement Division is adopting measures to minimize exposure between employees and also between employees and the public.
MED Business operations continue and services to the public are available, however, all MED office lobbies are not open to the public. During this time, MED is providing modified licensing services, outlined below. Other than these adjustments to our licensing processes, it is business as usual at MED.
Before You Apply
Be aware that applying for or holding a MED Employee License and/or working within the Colorado Regulated Marijuana Space may have adverse Federal Immigration consequences.
How to Apply
Please review the application carefully to ensure you are eligible to hold this type of MED license. Once you have determined you are eligible, follow the steps outlined below to submit your applicatoin. Don't forget to include all necessary supporting documentation and the full $105.00 application fee. Incomplete applications, a lack of supporting documentation, or failure to submit the application fee will result in a delayed processing time.
Recognizing the value of a collaborative approach to problem-solving, the MED is asking for your help to minimize ongoing processing delays. In order to support the MED's efficient intake and processing of applications, please consider the following prior to submitting your application:
- Download and Complete the MED Employee License Application, unless you are submitting it digitally and will complete it online.
- Conduct a final review of your application to ensure it's complete in its entirety (including any necessary supporting documentation)
- Ensure your (the applicant) signature is provided in all required fields in the application
- You must have some form of identification to apply.
- Your identification must have a photo
- You can live anywhere in the U.S. and apply for a Colorado MED License/Badge.
- Keep in mind that the MED License/Badge is only valid in Colorado.
- You can apply with an out-of-state ID; however, the ID must be current and Real ID Compliant.
- If your ID is current but not Real ID compliant, then you must provide a secondary form of identification, which can include:
- a state-certified birth certificate, or
- social security card, or
- a valid US passport.
- You must include a copy of your identification in the application.
- If your identification does not list your current correct address, you can still use it to apply - please make sure you provide your current address on your application. Once a license is approved, the MED badge will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the application.
You must have your fingerprints taken prior to submitting your application. During this time, the MED will not be offering in-office fingerprint services. Applicants may have fingerprints taken using a third-party vendor. When submitting your application, please include a copy of your receipt showing you completed your fingerprints by visiting one of the following providers.
The MED cannot complete the intake of your application without your payment of the Employee License Application Fee of $105.00.
- Please include a check, money order, or credit card authorization with your application submission. NO CASH can be accepted at this time.
- If you are paying by check or money order please make it payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue or CDOR.
If you are paying by check or money order, please send only the amount due. DO NOT add on extra service fees, as they do not apply to fees submitted by mail.
- To accommodate email submissions, the MED is also offering an online payment option available via the Colorado Interactive Payment System. For applicants using this online payment option, a MED staff member will contact you via email with a link to submit your payment.
- PLEASE NOTE: inaccurate payment may delay the issuance of your license. Full and proper payment is required, so please double-check your payment before submitting it! For a summary of fees, please see our MED Fee Schedule.
Updated 10/15/2021: We are currently processing applications received the week of October 4, 2021. The MED receives a large volume of Employee License applications that are deemed incomplete due to missing documentation or information required to process the application. This creates processing delays because we must expend additional staff resources focused on obtaining the required information from applicants.
The MED strives to provide excellent customer service by providing a range of methods by which applicants can submit their applications and by applying resources focused on supporting the efficient intake and processing of applications. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by processing delays and appreciate your assistance in ensuring the application you submitted includes all required information necessary for efficient processing.
Submit Your Application
You may mail your application to one of the following MED offices. Please note - multiple submissions will slow the processing of your application.
Drop-off - Lakewood ONLY
The Lakewood Office - 1697 Cole Blvd. Suite 200, Lakewood, CO 80401 - will provide a secure receptacle for applicants to drop-off their employee license applications. Please place your complete applications in an envelope to keep the application intact.
Submit by Mail
1697 Cole Blvd., Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80401
Colorado Springs/Southern Regional Office
PO Box 15128
Colorado Springs, CO80935
Grand Junction/Western Slope Regional Office
632 Market Street, Suite G3
Grand Junction, CO 81505
Longmont/Northern Regional Office
275 South Main Street, Suite 101
Longmont, CO 80501
I've Submitted My Application, What's Next?
If you pass your background check your badge will be mailed to the mailing address you provided on your application.
Be aware that by applying for an occupational license you have agreed that if your application is approved, you will keep the MED informed of any change of your home address and other contact information. You can do this via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we need more information you will be notified and given a period of time within which to provide us with the requested information.
If you fail your background check you will be notified and advised what steps you can take to become eligible for licensure.
Did you use our online application? If so, we want to hear from you! Please submit your feedback on this Google Form.